Email: first name (at) caltech (dot) edu
I have been selected as an Amazon/Caltech AI4Science Fellow of the 2022-2023 class! The AI4Science Fellows program is a result of a partnership between Caltech and Amazon around machine learning and artificial intelligence. The program recognizes graduate students and postdoctoral scholars that have had a remarkable impact in these areas, and in their application to fields beyond computer science
Talk at the ControlX meeting hosted by Prof. Mehran Mesbahi at University of Washington.
- Learning the Uncertainty Sets for Control Dynamics via Set Membership: A Non-Asymptotic Analysis [pdf]
J. Yu, V. Gupta, A. Wierman.Accepted to Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) 2023.
J. Yu, D. Ho, A. Wierman.ACM SIGMETRICS 2023.
C. Yeh, J. Yu, Y. Shi, A. Wierman.ACM e-Energy 2022. Best paper award finalist.
O. Kjellqvist*, J. Yu*Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) 2022.
J. Yu, C. Gehring, F. Schäfer, A. Anandkumar.Learning for Dynamics and Control Conference (L4DC) 2021.
J. Yu, Y. Wang, J. Anderson.American Control Conference (ACC) 2021.
- Achieving performance and safety in large scale systems with saturation using a nonlinear system level synthesis approach [arXiv]
* Equal Contribution
I was a teaching assistant (TA) / co-instructor of the following courses at Caltech:
- Co-instructor: (Spring 2023) CDS 231 Robust Control Theory
- TA: (Winter 2021) CDS 270 Robust Control and Learning
- TA: (Spring 2020) CDS 141: Network Control Systems
- TA: (Fall 2019) ACM/EE/IDS 116 Introduction to Probability Models
- TA: (Fall 2018) CS/EE 143 Communication Networks
Outreach and Mentoring
- (2023) Sustainable Energy Activity Lab (SEAL): I am a mentor for high school clubs where I work with students on a year-long sustainable energy project related to microbial fuel cells. We meet weekly for labs, lectures, and discussions.
- (2023) FUTURE Ignited: I am a peer advisor and accountability partner to help undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds to apply to graduate school, where I meet with students weekly to discuss progress and advise on graduate school applications from Sep - Dec.
- (2023) First-year Success Research Institute (FSRI): I was currently a summer research mentor for a group of 3-4 students within a research pod/group where I dedicate at least 2 hours per week to in-person lab work, office hours, and/or meeting with students.
- (2021-2023) Caltech: I mentored the following undergraduate students (U) and junior graduate students (G) during my time at Caltech: Agnim Agarwal (U, 2023) ; Lauren Conger (G, 2021-2022) ; Tinashe Handina (G, 2022-2023) ; Eric Ma (U, 2023); Patrick Martinez (U, 2023).
- (2018-2020) Muir High School, Pasadena, CA: I tutored high school students in Math and Science as part of an outreach initiative of the Caltech Y Rise Program.
- (2017-2018) Caltech: I helped run outreach programs for the CMS department at Caltech, including the Pasadena Science and Art Night, Tech Savvy Science Day for Girls at the Pasadena City College, and facilitate talks organized by Caltech Center for Diversity.
- (2013-2016) Georgia Tech: I was a Peer-led Undergraduate Study (PLUS) Leader for Physics I,II and Calculus I, II, III, where I worked with faculties to develop innovative and interactive weekly review sessions to help students better understand challenging course materials.
- (2014-2016) Georgia Tech: I was a volunteer instructor for the Georgia Tech Invention Studio, committing at least 3 hours per week teaching students how to use the fabrication machines for their engineering projects. I also host outreach workshops for local high schools to engage underrepresented groups in STEM.